Bartender License

Any individual 18 or older who is serving or selling alcohol beverages in an establishment with a Class A, B, or C license must obtain an Operator’s License (commonly called a bartender’s license). Upon submittal of an application, a record check will be completed. 

Provisional Operator's Licenses include the same authorizations as a regular operator's license but are issued to regular operator's license applicants who are awaiting review of their original license application. If an applicant needs to be issued their license right away, they will be charged for a provisional operator's license in addition to the operator license fee.
  • Provisional operator's licenses are valid for up to 60 days or until the original license application is issued or denied, whichever is sooner. 
  • Municipalities may pass ordinances to establish standards for issuance and must designate the official who has authority to issue them. 
Temporary Operator's Licenses include the same authorizations as a regular operator's license but may only be issued to persons employed by or donating their services to nonprofit corporations for a temporary event. 
  • Temporary operator's licenses may be issued without the responsible beverage server training course requirement of a regular operator's license. 
  • No person may hold more than two temporary operator's licenses per year. 
  • Licenses are valid for up to 14 days. 
Municipal Code Fees 
  • Regular License $40.00 (Applicant must also include a $12.00 Investigation fee with the application)
  • Provisional License $10.00
  • Temporary License $10.00
  • Investigation $12.00
Make check payable to the City of Muskego. Fees must be paid at the time of application. 
Responsible Beverage Server Course State law requires that the applicant successfully complete an approved Responsible Beverage Server Course if the individual has not held a license or completed the course within the last two years. Proof of course completion is required. If applicant has held a license issued by another municipality within the last two years, a copy must be submitted. 

The course is offered at Milwaukee Area Technical College and Waukesha County Technical College. If you prefer to take the course online, visit the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website. 
Application Form 
  • Application for Bartender (Operator)
  • Please submit fee, application form, and any other required documentation to the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office, Muskego City Hall, W182S8200 Racine Avenue, Muskego, WI 53150. 
Please contact City Clerk Kerri Roller at (262) 679-5628  for any further information.